23 March 2015

Working for the NHS

For a few months in 2008, I had the pleasure of working for the National Health Service (NHS) as a locum. For those who don't know, a locum is an agency worker, often covering a temporary staff shortage for a few weeks or months. But I have never worked directly for the NHS.

As with most British institutions, it is a simultaneously loved and the subject of harsh criticism for it's imperfections. As a foreigner who has much to be grateful for, I view my recent joining the ranks of the NHS as a way to say thank you to a country that has been so very good to me.

With the nearly constant stream of criticism that the press aims at the NHS, I was bracing myself for an atmosphere of carelessness and detachment , but I am happy to report that I am surrounded by extremely passionate and dedicated professionals who are working long and hard to provide a topnotch service despite being understaffed and under resourced. I am extremely proud to be in the NHS and hope my presence will contribute to people's lives in a positive way.

Photo Credit

NHS Logo: Basildon Healthcare

1948 Leaflet: Wikipedia

No comments: